Legal Separation Attorney in Carmel

Explore an Alternative to Divorce

Legal separation is a temporary alternative to divorce. This action allows the parties to attempt to reconcile differences without immediately committing to a divorce. The legal separation also provides a road map for the parties during their separation so that each side can work toward improving and maintaining the marriage.

The party filing for the legal separation is requesting the court to address issues including:

Because you want to handle these requests carefully, it's best to consult with a Carmel legal separation attorney. At Hains Law, LLC, we offer comprehensive representation to couples who need help reconciling differences or who want to take the first step toward divorce.

Contact us at (317) 588-2883 to request a free phone consultation.

The Legal Separation Process in Indiana

In Indiana, a petition for legal separation may be filed by an Indiana resident or a party stationed at a United States military installation within Indiana for six months and in the county in which they have lived for three months. However, a guardian of an incapacitated person may file the legal separation petition in their county of residence as long as they have lived there for three months.

The court will typically hold a hearing on the petition for legal separation. As long as neither party has filed for divorce, the court may grant a decree for a legal separation of the parties’ marriage for a period not to exceed one year if the court finds that the circumstances of the marriage justify the separation and that the marriage should be maintained.

A Decree of Legal Separation will specify each party’s obligations and responsibilities. After one year, the Decree of Legal Separation is no longer enforceable without prior action by a party.

Learn More about Your Options

Ultimately, legal separation is not for everyone. However, if you wish to separate from your spouse, it is important to seek the advice of a skilled Carmel legal separation attorney. With a decade of experience in divorce and family law, Attorney Joshua R. Hains can offer the legal insight you need to navigate your case.

Contact our office at (317) 588-2883 today to set up an initial consultation.

Contact Our Firm Today

We're Ready to Help You Move Forward
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.